Beirut Express

All and nothing about Beirut.

Monday, April 07, 2008

On resuscitation and movies

It's been two years since my last 3 posts on this blog. I'm thinking of resuscitating it. Let's hope it will last longer than the first attempt. Close your eyes and pray :)

I went to the movies on Friday to watch Persepolis at sofil. Persepolis that was banned then unbanned than censored. I saw it at last, and i should say, i fully understand why they wanted to ban it. I can't imagine one sane person that watches this to still want to be liberated by the great principles of the islamic revolution. But again, i never imagined Nicolas Sarkozy had a chance with Carla. The movie was great and fun to watch. The theater was far from full, but there was a good audience that wasn't afraid to laugh when it should. Always refreshing.

Anyway, what struck me is the movies that where showing in the two Sofil theaters. In Sofil 1, it was Persepolis, a movie written by an Iranian woman now living in France that staunchly criticizes the Islamic regime in Iran. In Sofil 2, The Kite runner, a hollywoodized movie based on a book writted by an afghan living in the states bashing the now revived Islamic Taliban regime.

Repeat after me: Extremism is bad. Moderation is good.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home